The Internet Advertising Bureau recently reported dramatic increases in online ad spending for the first half of 2010. New records were also established in the second quarter driven by large increases in online display advertising. Highlights from this report include:
- Online ad spending rose 11.3% in the first half of 2010 as compared to 2009, reaching $12.1 billion in the first half of 2010.
- Second quarter spending for online advertising alone was up 13.9%.
- Search advertising accounted for 47% of all spending making it the largest segment of online ad spending.
- Growth in this segment reached 11.6% and totaled $5.75 billion in the first 6 months of 2010.
- Display advertising also increased over 2009.
- Spending increased 15.9% to $4.36 billion with banner ads remaining the largest segment of display advertising during the first half of the year.
- Spending on lead generation and email both decreased with lead generation spending dropping 11.8% and email spending dropping 19.5%.
- Classified advertising rose 13.1% during this time.