We’re just over a month into 2016, and already we’re seeing big changes and trends in digital marketing – some that have already happened, and some that are on the horizon.
According to industry experts, 2016 will be a transformative year for the industry. In 2016, digital advertising will eclipse TV advertising for the first time in history. Meanwhile, mobile continues to show explosive growth, as top CMO’s continue to shift resources toward mobile ads, mobile search, and mobile content.
With this in mind, here are three digital marketing trends to watch out for as the year develops.
Digital Advertising Leaves Traditional Channels in Dust
Digital marketing already outstrips traditional marketing in many major markets. But 2016 will mark the first year where digital advertising channels take over worldwide.
While digital has long ago overtaken print advertising, TV has remained a juggernaut in the advertising industry. That’s due to change in the upcoming months, as digital channels will become the biggest, most valuable medium for advertisers in 2016.
- The internet is already the world’s biggest advertising platform in 50% of major markets
- Web advertising spending is projected increase 12.2% in 2016 vs. a 2.1% increase for TV
- Consumers now spend 5 hours and 38 minutes on the internet each day, more than all other media channels combined
Mobile Gains Continue at Rapid Pace
No trend in digital marketing has been a bigger game changer in the past decade than the rise of mobile marketing. Mobile shows no signs of slowing on the path to digital dominance. In fact, more Google searches are now performed through mobile than desktop in the US.
While mobile is expanding at a rapid rate, experts believe mobile marketing will expand even faster over the next four years. In fact, mobile marketing budgets are expected to increase by over 20% in 2016, one of the largest sector increases in the marketing industry.
- Studies of consumer behavior show that 51% of digital time is spent on mobile devices, compared to 42% on desktops and laptops
- Mobile accounted for 49% of digital ad spending in 2015
- According to projections, that figure will increase to 60.4% in 2016
B2C Businesses to Make Big Digital Push
Trends show that digital marketing is expected to make major strides across all categories in 2016. However, B2C businesses are expected to show particularly robust growth. Digital marketing trend reports show that B2C service and product vendors are both expected to substantially increase their investments in digital channels this upcoming year.
- B2C service vendors plan to increase digital marketing budgets by 14%
- B2C product vendors plan to make even larger investments, upping budgets by 20%
Looking for guidance on your next digital marketing initiative? Give Qiigo a call at (404) 496-6841. Our experts can help you navigate digital marketing trends and position your brand for digital and mobile success.