Social media sites continue to dominate our thoughts and actions online. Which sites we use and how frequently we visit them continues to change and evolve. Let’s look at how U.S. adults are using the top social media sites.
- Facebook’s user base remained consistent in 2014.
- 70% of Facebook users engage daily.
- 45% of Facebook users visit the site several times a day.
- 71% of internet users have a Facebook account.
- 56% of online adults age 65+ have a Facebook account.
- The number of Twitter users was up 5% in 2014.
- 36% of Twitter users visit the site daily.
- Usage among U.S. adults rose 9% in 2014.
- 49% of Instagram users access the site daily
- 26% of US adults now have Instagram accounts.
- 53% of 18-29 year olds have an Instagram account
- The number of Pinterest users was up 7% in 2014.
- 17% of Pinterest users access the site daily.
- 42% of online women use Pinterest.
- The number of LinkedIn users was up 6% in 2014.
- 13% of LinkedIn users visit the site daily.
- 50% of internet users with college degrees use LinkedIn.
Overall, social media usage continues to rise. Fifty-two percent of US adults have accounts on two or more social media sites.
Understanding how consumers use social media can help marketers to tailor their strategies and messages for optimal success.